Monday, December 14, 2009

Thanksgiving roundup

As we head into winter I'm longing looking back at fall. I love fall more than any season and it's never easy to let go. Especially when December has been absolutely freezing! If it weren't for Christmas coming up, I'd dread the snow too, but so far it's been pretty magical.

Before I get to Christmas posts (I'm pretty behind this year- what else is new) I thought I'd share a few things from Thanksgiving. We were with my husband's family, and I thought it would be fun to involve the kids as much as possible in the festivities. My niece and I were in charge of all the decorations for our feast and we elected to make not only a fabulous centerpiece with pumpkins and gourds, but also name cards so that everyone would know where to sit (my niece was very worried about this part). I let her be in complete control and she did everything from write the names to laying out the decorations on the table. It took some restraint not to tweak a few things, but I had to remind myself that it was her table and she was so proud of it. You should have seen her beaming!

Also, I did a twist on one of our family traditions with pie crust... instead of spreading butter on the leftover crust with a pastry brush and then sprinkling it with cinnamon and sugar, I cut out little leaves with a knife. I was a little bummed that the only knives in the house were slightly serrated, but they actually made the leaves look more lifelike when they were cooked because they weren't perfect. I added the veins of the leaves with a knife, then spread butter and sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar. My favorite part was twisting the leaves in various directions on the cookie sheet so they would look more realistic. The pretty much flattened when they baked, so next year I am going to try dowels underneath them.

There's nothing like homemade pumpkin pie, homemade whipped cream, and a lovely little shortbread cookie to go on top...



No comments: