Saturday, December 4, 2010

Thanksgiving Roundup {Capture the Magic Project}








I spent a good portion of the day in the kitchen on Thanksgiving Day, but it was so wonderful. Some of the most memorable moments that we created and captured were:

  • Our fall foliage mobiles that we put up in three doorways in our home. We picked up the leaves in Central Park, and after a semi-failed attempt to preserve the color in glycerin (only like 10 worked- the rest turned brown. Any suggestions?), we went with gorgeous fresh leaves and pressed them overnight. We suspended them with sewing thread, and I absolutely loved how the leaves would turn and sway when we'd walk past. I was actually sad to take them down to put up holiday decor. This will be a new tradition.
  • Going to see the balloons inflated for the Macey's Thanksgiving Day Parade the night before. I loved seeing all the people in the windows of the surrounding apartment complexes looking down on the balloons and the crazy crowd.
  • Making a "pa-corn turkey" (as Ella calls it), a brown paper turkey filled with popcorn (tutorial via One Charming Party). We "carved" it with a knife and ate the popcorn while we watched the parade and identified balloons we'd seen before. Definitely a new tradition
  • Having my darling cousin Taylor here from DC. Thanksgiving is fir families and we were so thrilled that she chose to join us.
  • Making pies with my daughter. We even made some mini pies just for her.
  • Eating candied yams and enjoying my successful first attempt at making dinner rolls. They were delicious, but my mom's are legendary, so I have a long way to go.
  • I cooked my turkey upside down on accident. I was kind of grossed out by the raw bird (must have been something to do with the neck and giblets and flashbacks to Pioneer Trek). I didn't even realize that it was the wrong side- they do look fairly similar since there is no head :) so I thought I ruined it when I pulled it out. Nope! It was so delicious! Nice and tender. After telling a few people about my little mishap I heard from more than one person that a lot of people do that so the juices drip down onto the breast. That's what I was going for all along, right? Yea, I was just trying to be gourmet. Right.
  • Going to the zoo and walking through Central Park the day after Thanksgiving - I'd never seen it so empty and it was really strange.
  • Buying our Christmas tree from the "tree lot" set up on the side of the street in our neighborhood was a definite highlight. We were worried about getting it home, but luckily the cost included delivery (that poor, poor teenage boy) and setup. Nice! We got free Charlie Brown trees for both of our kids, which was extra fun.
What were your favorite Thanksgiving moments? It's so interesting to me how often the most memorable moments are not the big ones, but the little ones, or the anticipation lead up to the big events.














6 comments:

Englebright said...

These are so unbelievably beautiful. That bridge one is my favorite.

Bombshell Char said...

Sigh. I have yet to successfully make dinner rolls. And I've tried more than once! So good job.

erin said...

Ella's little pies are so darling. She is so lucky to have you as a mother. I love the leaves hanging in your doorway too.

I'm not convinced the glycerin thing works. And it's super sticky.

BensonFam said...

I never comment (though I check in often) but this post was amazing and I just have to tell you how much I love your ideas that bring Ella into holiday prep with you. I borrow and tweak ideas for kids from your blog quite a bit, so thanks for sharing.
Emily (Erin's friend from high school...)
bensonfamilyadventures.blogspot.com

Stephanie Braithwaite said...

I so totally look up to you. You are one of my role models. You are always doing such amazing things and making magic all the time in your home. I wish you were still here to visit with!

Lindsay said...

What lovely photos!

As per your request, here is something fun to do here during the holidays. It requires a trek way down into Brooklyn, but Dyker Lights is pretty awesome. Definitely worth the trip if you're into ogling beautiful homes decked out (as in way, way, WAY anything-you-can-do-I-can-do-better decked out) in holiday lights and decor. Here's a link with more info:

http://gonyc.about.com/od/christmassights/p/dyker_lights.htm

Also, there's the Holiday Train Show in the Transit Museum Annex at Grand Central. We haven't been yet, but because we've heard such good things about it, we're definitely going this year.

By the way, there are a couple of NYC mom blogs worth checking out, if you haven't already, that are great for a heads up of fun things to do in the city with kids: Mommy Poppins (http://mommypoppins.com/) and A Child Grows in Brooklyn (http://www.achildgrows.com/).