Monday, October 15, 2012

Glass Blowing Class {Thames Glass, Newport Rhode Island}

There's nothing quite like the rush that comes from creating something from practically nothing. I also love the new awareness that comes from learning a new skill. You see things differently and wonder more and appreciate the origins and creative process involved in creating everyday objects.  Like glass, for example.

While we were in Newport, my friends and I went to Thames Glass to to make Christmas ornaments.  I love trying new things, and I'm sure you do too! If you ever get the chance to try glass blowing, do it. It was such a wonderful experience, and I think the hardest part for all of us was choosing the colors. There were innumerable color combinations with endless possibilities, and it was almost too much for me.   In the end, I decided to do a bright blue, deep blue, and a turquoise. I wanted my ornament to look like water, and I think I succeeded.  Hooray!  Our teacher was amazing, and so incredibly patient with us.  She made us all feel calm and confident, even though we had no clue what we were doing.  True teachers are empowering, and she certainly made me feel like I could make just about anything (with her help, of course).

The finished products all ended up quite a bit lighter than you'll see in the images here (mine looks pretty green in the pictures below, but it turned out mostly blue).  They shipped them to us a few days after they had time to cool and cure, so it was like unwrapping a gift on Christmas morning to see our creations in their final state.

I intended to save it for Kyle for a handmade Christmas gift for Kyle, but I just couldn't wait to give it to him.

a random facade I spotted on our way there,  and Thames glass itself




















Mine is on the left, Heidi's is on the right

Morgan's is on the left, Emily's is on the right


And can you believe our teacher makes creations like this pumpkin? I can't even believe it.  So beautiful!


1 comment:

stacey said...

wow that's awesome! what a cool activity to do on vacation. i love the picture of heidi with all the cameras around her neck, and of course all of the others. you gals are pretty impressive.