Monday, November 5, 2012

Birthday + Halloween Dessert Night {New York City}


 















Happy Birthday Lynda!  I love any excuse to throw a party, so I was particularly excited when my friend Lynda's birthday fell very close to Halloween. I just had to throw a Halloween-themed dessert night in her honor. I handmade all the desserts (because I'm crazy like that), and the birthday girl brought homemade pumpkin sugar cookies to decorate (adults love it too!), and some delicious Italian sipping cocoa. Lynda loves Dr. Pepper, so we made sure it made an appearance for our guests too.  Homemade caramel favors were probably my favorite of all the treats.  I had to bag them all up as soon as they were wrapped so I wouldn't devour each and every one myself. 

I made my go-to White Almond Sour Cream Cake, and then used this tutorial from Oh Happy Day for the scalloped design with the frosting.  I happily discovered this cake recipe just after I moved here, and it's truly the best homemade cake I've ever had.  I always use cream cheese frosting and it's just amazing. This coming from someone who doesn't even like cake!

And all the fabulous serve ware is from Old Town Imports, of course! 

I need to find more reasons to throw parties. I'm turning 30 this year, and I'm beginning to not care about how pathetic it might be if I plan my own party :)  I love the creative process, all the details, the hubbub the day-of, I just love it all. It's amazing how even the most simple parties take SO much work, but it's such a fun process. I can't even believe the level of crazy some people go to for parties, and in comparison, my parties are rather simple.  But I loved this party because the candle-lit ambiance was wonderful, and there were enough fun little details and homemade touches to make my heart smile.  My sister Erin was in town at the time, so with her extra pair of hands hard at work I was able to get some shots of our setup before everyone arrived and before it got pitch black out before dinner.  This time of year is pretty depressing because the day fades away far too quickly!


6 comments:

Kelli Burton said...

some day I want to come to one of your parties...

I think I was most enchanted by the mini dr. peppers. ha!

can't wait to see how your 30th turns out!

Steve and Nicole said...

amazing party! And pictures

erin said...

NICE job on that first photo. :)

Awesome party!

The Beckstroms said...

And she does it again! Congrats first of all on baby #3!! I am so excited for you. This party was just beautiful, as everything you do is. I miss being around your classy charm. I want to make that cake for Olive's 3rd in a few weeks! Wish me luck!

stacey said...

oh. my. heck. you are wonder woman! looks amazing as always.

gbrooks said...

ditto stacey. seriously - ditto.