Friday, November 14, 2008

Simple Things...

It's amazing how something so simple can turn my day around. Lilies are my favorite. They smell amazing, they last forever, and I love to watch them bloom. They have helped me through a rough couple of days.

Lilies remind me of so many occassions: birthdays, anniversaries, school plays, recitals, happy events, sad moments, etc. Friends and family know I love them, so I am delighted whenever I receive them. Today whilst picking the pollen off a freshly bloomed lily- you have to because they stain like mad- I remembered one of many memories with lilies...

I was hanging out with Heather and Jonathan and Robbie back in like 1998, the night before my dear friend Jonathan moved to Italy. We were at Macey's at Olympus Hills and I smelled a lily that didn't have the pollen removed... and that nasty orange stuff got all over my face. Good thing Heather helped me get it off (I have no idea how we did it... that stuff stains everything!) before everyone else saw. So remember to remove those bits of pollen or you, your clothing, your carpet, or your tablecloth will be in big trouble.

Funny things, memories. They have a way of brightening up the greyest of days.

4 comments:

Emily said...

The pictures are gorgeous! Seriously. They made me happy. I remember Kyle tracking down some specific lilies for you in London. That's my memory of you and the lilies. :)

Unknown said...

I like lilies too, but I totally hear you on the pollen. That stuff never comes out. I think the fragrance of lilies are a little strong, but I still like them.

Melissa said...

We just gt a lily stain from my birthday flowers, any removal tips, my flower friend? :)

Mari said...

I love lilies too! They are so elegant, and the pictures you took of them are gorgeous. I hope you don't have too many grey days my friend!