Monday, July 5, 2010

A Quilt for Kyle {a post long overdue}


I'm finally getting around to posting pictures of the quilt I made for my husband (waaaaay back in April)...

I realized that I'd never made anything for my husband and I thought that this would be the perfect way to show my appreciation for all the adventures we've shared over the last 6 years since we met (he's completed eight years of higher education overall, three degrees to show for it). This was one of the most fun projects I've ever worked on, because with each stitch I retraced the steps I've taken on a many a journey in London, New York, and Paris. Each city means a great deal to us, and it's fun to be able to pinpoint places we've lived, favorite sites to see, and of course it's fun to think about returning yet again. I guess the benefit in finally making him a gift after 5 years of marriage is that he has seen me work on many, many projects and knows how much work is involved in creating something from nothing.

I intended to machine quilt this, but found that the tiny stitching competed too much with the busy design of the maps and created one massive, convoluted design. I unpicked the rows and started over by hand quilting with sashiko thread and needles. Hand quilting had a softer look, and allowed the two components- the lines of the map and the lines of the hand quilting- to speak for themselves. I love the result. The finished size was about 60 x 80 inches. A cozy, sentimental, masculine quilt. Perfect.





No comments: