Sunday, November 1, 2009

Why I take pictures

I was driving with my daughter in the back of the car the other day. We'd just been to the doctor and it was past her nap time. After a few minutes of driving I looked in my rear view mirror and saw her squishy little lips in a pout, eyes closed, and head bobbing back and forth with the motion of the car. She was trying to fight back the sleep and wasn't succeeding. It was windy and snowing outside, so she was all bundled up in her new hat and coat. I was thinking about how I wished I would have brought my camera to capture her adorable little face... but that I'd have to settle for a mental picture of her peaceful expression.

I remembered all the times I've looked back at pictures and remembered things I would have otherwise forgotten- all because I grabbed my camera and clicked away.

As much as I try to hold on, I just can't keep all the mental images I wish to recall.

A Chinese proverb says that "the faintest ink is more powerful than the strongest memory"

That's why I take pictures.

5 comments:

Amy said...

I couldn't have said it better.

Alisha said...

Hi Lesley- It's Alisha from freshman year at BYU. I LOVE your blog. Your photos are beautiful. I'm an aspiring photographer myself, so it's been fun to see your pictures. I agree wholeheartedly with this post. In fact, we went to Disneyland last month and I kept saying to my husband as we drove home, "I can't WAIT to look at all of these pictures on the computer." And now I can relive our trip every day if I want by going through photos. They are truly a blessed thing!

Christina G. said...

And it's a very good reason :)

Erin said...

Amen sister! :) So, I have been wondering why you stopped blogging, then I realized that it just wasn't registering on my reader! Oops. Lovely pictures as always.

Erin

Amber Addams said...

So inspiring. I have never heard that quote before, but it is so true. It confirms what I have been feeling for a while-- a renewed need to journal in detail. Thanks for the inspiration.