Monday, March 16, 2009

Because nothing says 'love' like the produce aisle

One of my favorite family traditions is our version of a bridal shower. We get together for dinner and then we all head out to the grocery store to load up on essentials for the bride and groom. Then we all head to the bride and groom's apartment and fill up their shelves and pantry! They did it for us when we got married in 2004 and it's been a tradition ever since.

Oh, and everyone gets a sharpie and writes all over the food. You know, clever stuff like "yummy yummy yum!"and "ooooh brownies are my favorite!" We all show eachother and laugh heartily at our witty/lame comments. I know K&D are going to love reading all our commentary as they prepare meals together.

The bride's sisters even made her a gorgeous cake for the shower (i think it looked good enough to be the real deal) and she and her fiance got to practice cutting the cake. I think that's clever. The decorations were just circles of different sizes sewn together (like you chain piece quilt blocks) and then tissue paper pom poms...

My favorite part was the grocery store... I think I'll always take my camera to the store from now on (it was also fun to capture the zanier sides of my family members). And who knew Macey's grocery store flourescents provided such lovely lighting.

And yes, I did have post them all... the last two are my favorites.




My favorite shots from our grocery store 'shoot.' In the second one I told them 'no smiles' and I love the face Grandpa made... he cracks me up...

And thanks Taylor, i stole your line for my title... you are so witty!

7 comments:

erin said...

Ah, our silly family. So sorry I couldn't make it, but I was spending time with another member of our dear family who couldn't make it, so, you know. Things balance out. Too bad you just started taking picture now though! Gosh. :)

stacey said...

what a fun family tradition we have! I am so glad you documented so much of it. Those pictures are so fun. I miss all of you crazy people! And the decor is awesome, as usual...

Amy B. said...

I love that idea and I love all of the pictures...and Taylor has a blog...where? I hope to see you at the wedding reception...

Mari said...

Hey is that rebecca woahn in one of those pictures? Are you two related? I taught her at american fork hs during my student teaching. Loved her!

Taylor said...

We have the coolest family ever. Go us! I'm glad I finally got to be a part of a Woodfield bridal shower.

Les, those pictures are fantastic! I think you may have just introduced a whole new genre of photography.

Melanie said...

What a darling idea! I love it!

Lori Smith said...

I love this....so clever. The eggs are prob. my fave! I heart your Aunt Heidi! Your family is so fun! Who knew the grocery store could be such a blast!