Friday, March 20, 2009

Tab Blanket Tutorial

Here's a project that is easy, fun, and babies love them! This is one of those projects where you can do the minimum or go crazy... I went a little crazy but I'm so glad I did.

Tab blankets are great for babies because they have lots of fun ribbon loops to play with and lots of different colors and textures to explore. I knew that my 14 month old would need a bit more than just ribbon to keep her occupied, so I added buttons. Lots and lots of buttons. I showed a few beginner sewers in my neighborhood how to make these and they took about 2 hours. I think everyone would agree that they could whip another one out in 30 minutes now that they've done it once. And many of you will already have most of this on hand.

I used chenille on one side and minky on the other... and E loves it! I think it's going to be perfect for helping our little darling stay quiet in church.

Here's the supply list and instructions:

SUPPLIES:
  • Two squares of fleece, flannel, minky, or chenille. The size doesn't matter, just make sure they are equal. (I did 13 inches because I wanted it to be smaller, but everyone else did 18")
  • matching thread
  • 28 pieces of 4.5" ribbon with varying textures (allows for 7 per side)
  • buttons (optional- i bought a pound of mixed buttons for like $4 at Roberts and use them all the time for different projects)
INSTRUCTIONS:
1. Cut your fabric into squares (I used a rotary cutter and cut 13" squares)

2. Next, if you are going to add buttons or other embellishments, now is the time to do it. You can do it after everything is sewn together, but bear in mind that your stitches will be seen on both sides unless you do each side separately first (or put buttons on both sides in the same place and sew them on at the same time- which would also quilt the sides together, so that's pretty clever). Make sure to stitch them on really well

3. Fold your ribbon pieces in half and pin the raw edges to the RIGHT side of the fabric, with the fold of the ribbon pointing toward the center of the fabric (as shown below).




4. Next, with a 1/4 inch seam allowance, sew the ribbon to the fabric square

5. Pin the fabric squares RIGHT sides together, leaving a three inch hole (so you have room to turn it inside out)


6. Sew the pieces together with a 1/2 inch seam allowance

7. Turn the blanket inside out and iron

8. At this point you can either slip-stitch the opening together, or top stitch the entire blanket with a zig zag stitch and a 1/2 inch seam allowance.



Did she like it? You be the judge...



5 comments:

Kendra said...

sooo cute! great job!

Jodie said...

They're all the rage over here. So, of course, I made one for Peter (sans buttons). And he couldn't care less about it. :) Haha...oh well!

Melissa said...

I love it! Where did you find all the incredible shaped buttons?

stacey said...

how fun! i want to make one. i wish i had a buddy to make it with :)

erin said...

Super cute!