Sunday, March 29, 2009

Louisiana Chicken

I haven't really made many blog-worthy meals lately, but this dinner was a winner. I am obsessed with the Cheesecake Factory's Louisiana Chicken. This recipe rivaled the real thing, if I do say so myself... and I'll quote my hubby to back me up "this is one of the best meals you've ever made" which naturally made me feel pretty good about myself.

Try this one, it's delicious!

Oh, and this recipe made enough for a huge helping for me and Kyle, lunch for Kyle and a friend the next day, dinner the next night, and dinner for my parents the next night. Yea, it made a lot.

I forgot to take a pic, so I got a lovely one HERE. Thanks google images!

Next time I do this I'll cook the chicken first, then make the sauce, then the pasta. The chicken takes the longest.


Louisiana Chicken
(from HERE with a few minor adjustments and commentary by me in parenthesis
)


FOR THE BREADED CHICKEN:
6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (I used about 10 chicken breast tenderloins)
1 c milk
1/4 c grated parmesan cheese
2 tbsps flour
3/4 c breadcrumbs
oil for frying
  • Heat oil to medium high temperature
  • Wash & drain chicken breasts and then pound until very thin (if you don't have a meat mallet, put the chicken into a plastic bag and use a rolling pin and whack away)
  • Mix breadcrumbs, flour, & Parmesan cheese together.
  • Place milk in shallow dish (like a pie pan) and dip chicken in breadcrumb mixture, then in milk, then back in breadcrumbs (sounds strange but it actually works the best).
  • Fry in a few inches of oil until chicken is golden crisp & cooked through.
  • Remove & drain chicken; keep warm.


FOR THE PASTA:
1 package bow tie pasta (I used a box of Barilla Farfalle, and it was enough to feed like 10 people- seriously)
3/4 small red onion (I used three pearl onions and one shallot- tasted great!)
1 1/4 pints whipping cream
1 c mushrooms, sliced
1 small red bell pepper, sliced (we only had one red pepper- no yellow- and it worked great)
1 small yellow pepper, sliced
4 tbsps fresh basil, finely chopped
Cajun Sauce, to taste
1 c grated parmesan cheese
1 c low sodium chicken broth
1 tbsp butter
3 whole garlic cloves (minced)
1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes

SAUCE:
  • Melt butter in large skillet over medium heat. Add yellow and red bell peppers, mushrooms, and onion to same skillet and cook until crisp-tender, about 4 min.
  • Add garlic & crushed red pepper to skillet & saute 3 mins.
  • Add whipping cream & chicken stock and simmer until sauce re-heats & thickens slightly, about 5 mins.
  • Add basil & 1 c grated Parmesan cheese to sauce while stirring.
  • Add salt and pepper, to taste.
  • Reduce heat to low, simmer until sauce reduces and thickens
PASTA:
  • While sauce reduces, cook bow-tie pasta in large pot of boiling salted water until al dente
  • Drain and return to pot, then add sauce and toss to coat.
Serve the pasta topped with chicken






3 comments:

Kendra said...

Sounds fabulous! I love new recipes! I think Jason will love it too! I am going to call you soon so that we can set up a time to take Tori's pictures.

stacey said...

can't wait to try it!

Lori Smith said...

MMMMMM!!!! I'm at work starving & this looks & sounds amazing. I think we'll make it tomm. Thanks for sharing!
XOXOXO