Thursday, March 5, 2009

Shooting in manual


[All shots: SOOC, Nikon D90, 50mm 1.8, natural light]

I'm to the point where I don't shoot anything but manual mode... and mostly manual focus. For those of you learning- keep at it! You will never regret it and you will never go back.

I've been answering a lot of questions for newbie DSLR users lately, which has helped me solidify what I know. Keep them coming! I'm more than happy to answer any questions you have.

My sister made me a logo and even some official business cards and I'm slowly beginning to accept 'photographer' as a word to describe myself. I'll be launching a little info blog that tells a bit about my pricing, style, etc. I decided it would be much easier to just put something out there so friends don't have to feel silly asking, and so that I don't have to answer the same email over and over again (though I'm happy to, of course).

I had two newborn shoots this weekend, and a commercial shoot that's lasted all week. Stay tuned for previews...

here are a few shots of E during the shoot yesterday. I love the drama of side-lit images... it's timeless. E was very helpful and wanted to be involved in EVERYTHING.

6 comments:

Melanie said...

ooo- I especially love that one with the lemons on the tray.

You are a wonderful photographer and have definitely earned the title. How exciting to have business cards and make it more official. Congrats!

erin said...

Those are soooooo cuuuuuuuuuuuuuuute. Little hands...

Melissa said...

I completely agree with your "timeless" comment, the photo of Ella looking down at the lemons reminds me of several Baroque favorites, in color and drama. Very nice!

Thanks for all of your help with the camera! Things are starting to click...but I have my ISO set too high, so maybe that is why everything isn't blurry anymore...its just grainy!

The Jessee Journal said...

I'm a blog lurker with a question for you :) I'm purchasing my first DSLR (with the hopes of becoming a "pro" someday:) and I am having a really really hard time picking a lens. Obviously a prime lens, like the 50 mm 1.4 is ALOT cuper than a zoom "pro-quality" lens ... but I'm wondering about ease of use. Do you have a hard time getting good shots of a fast moving toddler? A zoom lens would make that easier I would think... BUT if I could get awesome I.Q. for the WAY cheaper prime lens then that might be a good place to start. Bottom line I'm clueless. Any suggestions/wisdom you could share on it would be great!
(marcie.jessee@gmail.com)

Petit Elefant said...

Your blog is beautiful! Thanks for stopping by Petit Elefant and saying hello. I hope to see you around. :)

Kendra said...

Um...can I say that this is the reason that I want you to do Tori's year shots! you are sooo talented! You amaze me! One day I am going to grow up and be as creative as Lesley Colvin...that is my new goal!