Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Color Profile Consistency

Can you tell I'm new at this photography thing? I was cleaning of my hard drive on my macbook a few weeks ago and somehow ended up resetting my screen settings to default. Which means my screen was set to LCD instead of RGB and wow, it sure makes a difference- like it was ridiculous how much warmer the LCD profile was... thus, my pics looked too cool when they were uploaded, which I thought was strange, but just thought I'd forgotten about white balance :)

I didn't think about it again until I saw my blog on my parents' desktop while I was visiting and I was a tad bit shocked by what I saw: a nasty color cast. "Dad, is there something wrong with your monitor?" "Um, no."

Luckily, one of my fab photography friends noticed it about the same time too and recommended calibrating my monitor. That's when I found the problem... so never fear faithful friends (the three of you who read this), no more nasty color casts! Sorry about that.

Why am I telling you this? Because consistent color profiles (from your camera to photoshop to your computer's monitor) is something that newbies don't generally think about. Hopefully it will help someone if they see something wonky with their pics.

You live and you learn.

Keep those questions coming!

3 comments:

Mari said...

Um, I... had no idea that anything was wrong. I'm just slightly ignorant of all things photographic which is a bummer since we just got photoshop. Perhaps I'll actually learn to use it someday.

erin said...

Huh?

My laptop says LCD. I guess I didn't realize you could change it.

The Jessee Journal said...

I have avoided figuring out how to calibrate my computer because computers still kind of scare me. I guess I'm just going to have to take the plunge :) Thanks for the tip.